If you are a regular reader of my blog then you will be very much aware that we have just had the 2nd Anniversary of loosing our daughter Poppy along with her Birthday. I always find that leading up to dates like these and again around Christmas, we seem to pass through a season that is emotionally hard and moments when I just feel teary. I am however always surprised that despite the deep sorrow and missing that goes on with in me and the sometimes lonely feelings of wondering who might get it or want to, I always see things that are given and happen for us to smile about and I accepted that last year this was now our Ordinary; the roller coaster of life, the rough and the smooth and now the Joys and sadness’s intertwined.
It was really odd that after a hard week I spent most of Friday smiling and feeling happy and it was on this day, her actual Birthday that I saw, did and received things that made me smile on an otherwise hard day. They are all little moments but things that I want to share that gave me reason to smile…
1. Cards, gifts and messages from loved ones/friends when I had wrongly assumed they had all forgot.
2. Attempting a flower arrangement for her grave and it all came together so well.
3. Being invited out for the afternoon with friends and having some laughs.
4. Meeting family at the grave.
5. Dinner prepared for us with treats and hot chocolate to follow.
6. Some sneaky fireworks found from New Yrs and my brother in laws suggesting we “send them to Poppy”.
7. A Chinese lantern found with them and sent to Poppy.
8. The kids asking to buy balloons again to send to her too.
9. Spotting a gorgeous stare between Alice and Daddy
10. Daddy throwing Megan and having so much fun
11. Realising for the 1st time all the kids were in the same place.
I am sure there were more, life is filled with seemingly ordinary things that could be overlooked, but if noticed are moments to make us smile. And I believe it is so important to count your blessings and be grateful in life, to take time to notice and acknowledge these little moments, for doing so helps maintain perspective and positiveness and turns potentially sad days into manageable, put a smile on your face kind of days!
Linking up with Katie @mummydaddme for #Ordinarymoments